The Ferme de Saint-Nom, given by a lord of Poissy to the Vaux de Cernay monastery in 1228, benefited from numerous donations and a gradual acquisition of plots of land. The Cistercian monks turned this agricultural estate into a model farm, with buildings set around a courtyard. Sold as public property during the Revolution, the farm was greatly modified during the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries and today lodgings can be found there. The only memento of the farm is its name written over the entrance.
The Tuilerie-Bignon, also part of the Parc de Versailles is now home to one of the most prestigious French golf courses, le Golf de Saint Nom la Bretèche which has a worldwide reputation.
The Château de la Bretèche, feudal land of the Pomereu family for over two centuries, was sold to the King, Louis XIV, in 1700 for the Comte de Toulouse (legitimate son of the King and Madame de Montespan) as a hunting lodge. The castle was subsequently purchased by numerous lords, one of whom was Jean-Pierre Richard, father of the painter and engraver Jean-Claude Richard, “Abbé de Saint-Non”.
The Ferme de Valmartin was part of a seigneurie until 1600 when it was sold to the nuns of the Royal convent of the Dames de Poissy. Later transformed into a farm, it was used to breed merino sheep by the end of the seventeenth century. The farm was sold as public property during the Revolution.
The Golf of Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche
Hameau de la Tuilerie Bignon - 78860 Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche
In 1954, Mr Ortet, owner of the “Ferme de la Tuilerie”, asked Féau, an estate agent, to find a potential buyer for his property. Daniel Féau wanted to build a large golf course in the Paris area. Thus began the extraordinary story of the golf course in Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche, which today has an international reputation.
On May 2nd 1957, Mr Entem, mayor of the village, officially revealed this golf project to the town council and 1959 saw the opening of a 36-hole golf course.
The golf course hosted the Trophée Lancome from 1970 to 2003.
>>See the Trophée Lancome website
The club-house, in the restored buildings of the old farm, has become one of the most beautiful in Europe.
One of the most important world tournaments, The Canada Cup, took place in Saint-Nom-La-Bretèche in 1963, and gave it an international reputation.